St. Anthony Falls
by Beth Staats, Reference Outreach & Instruction Librarian, Minitex
Electronic Library for Minnesota Resources (for Minnesota residents)
1) Minneapolis. Britannica School. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 9 Feb. 2015. Accessed 21 Jul. 2016.
2) St. Anthony Falls. Image. Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 8 Apr. 2019. school-eb-com.content.elibrarymn.org/levels/high/assembly/view/74487. Accessed 17 Jul. 2019.
3) "Video: Behind the Scenes: U of Minn.'s St. Anthony Falls Lab." Local Broadcast Video Content 16 Sept. 2014. Student Resources in Context. Web. 21 July 2016.
Additional Resources for Research
Teaching Guide: St. Anthony Falls
Primary Source Analysis
For each source, ask students to indicate:
- the author's point of view
- the author's purpose
- historical context
For inquiry-based learning, ask students to:
- explain how a source tells its story and/or makes its argument
- explain the relationships between sources
- compare and contrast sources in terms of point of view and method
- support conclusions and interpretations with evidence
- identify questions for further investigation
This teaching guide helps instructors use a specific primary source set, St. Anthony Falls , in the classroom. It offers discussion questions, classroom activities, and primary source analysis tools. It is intended to spark pedagogical creativity by giving a sample approach to the material. Please feel free to share, reuse, and adapt the resources in this guide for your teaching purposes.
How did Minneapolis businesses near the river use St. Anthony Falls to their advantage beginning in the 1850s?
What are some ways you are directly related to the Mississippi River and St. Anthony Falls?
What is the greatest industry of Minneapolis, and why?